Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Gifted Straight C's

Despite all of my reading, I was a lousy student. My teachers kept telling my parents that I was bright but just lazy. My parents, I suppose because they saw me doing my homework assignments and taking far too long to complete them, came to think I was mentally slow. They hired a tutor to work with me. One day he told me that he had met with parents and told them that I was extraordinarily bright, but a very slow reader, and had difficulty writing. He told me about dyslexia, and then that my parents were going to see about finding something that could help me.

That summer between sixth grade and entering Junior High, I was enrolled in an experimental class at SMU. It worked. My reading speed, comprehension and vocabulary went from a third grade level to a post-graduate level in three months.


Yet...



Copyright © 2008 W. Crews Giles

No comments: